Finish the edge of the arm openings with a whipped or rolled edge. If you have a button foot it works well. If you have a Bernina machine use the #3 foot. Use the widest zig-zag stitch. The stitch length should be 1/4 (second line from the bottom). The needle position is two dots left of center. The fabric edge is right of the middle toe. You can also use a serged rolled edge.
1. The elastic should be 1/4 inch wide. You do not cut it at this time. Using a measuring device mark the elastic every 6 inches. Cut after you have measured out 8 yards. Do this with the entire package.
2. In order to avoid tangling the elastic as you sew it helps to roll it up into a pancake shape and place it in a ziplock bag with only the end coming out.
This embedded video is hosted on YouTube. The suggested videos following this are not made by the Launfal Foundation. To find additional videos explaining how to make the rest of our doll, scroll to the bottom of this page and click on the next step. - dlm
1. Be sure the top of the seam and the bottom of the seam line up. Starting at the top, sew a 1/4” seam all the way down the back. Backstitch several times over the elastic to make sure the elastic doesn’t slip back inside the casing. Sew the back seams in a long chain.
2. Serge or do a zig-zag stitch along the edge to make a nice finished !edge.
1. It is best to use a small, bright print for the tops and a solid color for the pants. Avoid knits or heavy fabrics.
2. It is best to use a rotary cutter to cut the fabric rather than tearing it because cutting gives you a smoother edge
which is easier to serge.
3. For the top measure the strips of fabric 6 inches wide and 21 inches long. The strips for the pants should be 6 inches wide and 16 inches long.
4. Serge along both long sides of the strips.
5. On the strip for the pants, make a hem by folding the bottom edge up 1/4 inch. Top stitch with the sewing machine the entire length of the strip.
6. Fold the strips in half crosswise with right sides facing each other. Using the patterns, cut out the pants and top.
1. Use the zipper foot with the needle position on the right side of the foot. Fold the end of the top, serged edge over to form a hem a little wider than 1/4”. Pin the elastic inside the fold on the end. As you sew continue to fold the fabric over the elastic and sew the length of the top or pants to make a casing. Be careful not to catch the elastic with the needle.!
2. Once you have reached the end of the fabric add another top or pants, folding the fabric over the elastic again making a casing. Continue adding additional tops/pants until you have sewn several together in a chain.
3. With scissors, carefully snip the threads connecting each top/pants.
4. Pull on the elastic as you gather up the fabric. As you get to the first 6 inch mark on the elastic. Fold the top/pants right-sides-together matching the seams. Pin the sides together piercing both pieces of the elastic. Once it is pinned you can cut the elastic.
5. Place a pin in the elastic and fold of the next top/pants and continue the same
process as above.
Fold the hem up about 1/4”. Do a finger press to help keep it in place as you sew. Top stitch all of the way around to make a nice finished hem. Backstitch as you finish your stitching.
© Copyright 2016. All Rights Reserved